Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Vic And Me

I know I previously announced my acquisition of a new van but I don’t think I ever mentioned that the car I drive on a regular basis is my 96 Black Honda Civic. Because of my commute to work and back, this is the more efficient option for me. I can zip through all of the expressway traffic and construction (of which there is a lot) and park in those rare and tiny parking spaces. She’s a good little car and she has served me well. Plus she’s payed off which allowed me to afford the Queen Bee of vehicles, my Quest.
I’ve had Vic (as we affectionately refer to her) since 1996, shortly after Cristian was born and rarely has she given me troubles. She’s been a good girl.
But like anything else that’s aged…she’s been having some problems lately. These culminated the other day when I left on my lunch break. I had every intention of swinging through the drive thru for a Rudy’s BBQ Sandwich and I was determined.
Oh yes. I was determined.
Determined, even as I sputtered through every red light between here and there. Determined as the car shook and shuddered and lurched. Determined as the car SCREECHED and RATTLED and GROANED. Oh Rudy’s BBQ Sandwich…the things I made Vic do for you that day! But as I finally sat in the drive thru line, I knew…without a doubt…that Vic was in serious trouble.
I left Rudy’s and made it back to work minus my BBQ sandwiach but that seemed trivial in comparison to Vic’s health. We dropped her off yesterday for a tune-up and she will also need a fan motor replaced or I shall be completely without air conditioning. And being that I live in the Rio Grande Valley where temperatures are generally in the 100’s….and Vic is BLACK with no window tint…dangit, I need air con.
So tomorrow she’ll be dropped off for another refreshing spa visit, but in the meantime, I’m cruising the Quest and MY GOD AM I LOVING IT. I rarely drive her myself due to the fact that on the weekends, Roy usually takes the wheel.
So this morning, I jumped in the van and lo and behold, Cris had left his Green Day CD in progress. There I was. Driving a van. And jamming out to American Idiot. And why not? I am an American Idiot. I can’t even refute that. I may as well revel in it like a pig in mud.
I may be 30 years old. I may have 2 kids. I may sit at a desk all day and drink mug after mug of coffee. And maybe I do drive a VAN every once in a while, but I sort of like being me.
Finally.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

hondas are awesome!! you need to get tint up in that biznatch. but i just remembered texas has some pretty crappy tint laws, right? i think my brother got his windows tinted the max you could, and its still pretty light.

i just go with illegal tint ;)

grace said...

steve's got a 1995 honda accord. man, that baby still runs so well...

god, the japanese are geniuses! :P

Roberto Campana said...

I had a 93 Honda Civic, great car, but since then, me and Betsy (I name them all Betsy for some reason) have parted ways. Now, I have her most high maintanence younger sister. The 95 Acura Integra. You've seen it Cece. And Cody has had the pleasure of riding in the luxury of the new Betsy. Hondas/Acuras are great though, I just love them.

Roberto Campana said...

oh yeah, almost forgot. Cece, madmanan is right. get the windows tinted! just head over the border and get that illegal mexican tint. you can't beat it for 25 bucks.

Anonymous said...

i drive a honda accord too!!!

i got 10% tint all around...

25% in the front and 15% in the back is what is legal in florida...

my last car i had 10% in the front, and 5% (limo tint) in the back. it was great.

Cece Martinez said...

manan your honda is sweeet. whats with all the tint percentage business. what does all that mean?

robert...I thought you had a bad experience over there?! remember the guy clinging to the underbelly of your car? the one they didn't see when they swept it with the mirror? LMFAO!

grace you just like it cuz its Steve's. :oP

Veronica...see? Just admit it. you're the bizarro world me, living on the other side of the country. or I'm the bizarro world you. either way...

Anonymous said...

The numbers represent the percentage of light transmitted through the tinted glass, so the lower the number, the darker the film allowed. Generally the films are sold as 5%(limo), 20%(dark), 35%(medium), 50%(light).

get it?
got it?
GOOD!

:)

Roberto Campana said...

cece, i didnt have a bad experience with the tint. it just happened that my friends family lives there in matamoros and he wanted me to get that paper, so i drove all around them following them to get it. but the tint worked out ok. and yeah, good thing they didn't catch that guy, turns out he's cool, makes great borracho beans, and mows the lawn like a pro. hehe. is that stero typing or what?

Cece Martinez said...

manan..consider me enlightened

robert...I can't respond right now because I am busy making tamales, which are also what I give myself for Christmas so that I will have something to unwrap. heh.

Roberto Campana said...

hehe. Cece, you be a funny Wexican. But I got to go, meeting two of my friends who want to play basketball. Both are named Juan. But I since I'm kind of tired, I might not play, so then it will just be a game of Juan on Juan. hehe.

Cece Martinez said...

buh dun dun...crash!

Roberto Campana said...

hehe. yeah i could post jokes all day. poor mexicans.

Anonymous said...

ooh ooh (speaking of jokes), joke on my site, joke on my site

Cece Martinez said...

manan I saw that and I got an http error message when I tried to comment but what I wanted to tell you was...
That is SO totally wrong. Mexican girls never get expensive dinners.

Roberto Campana said...

hey I took a nice mexican girl out to a great restaurant which served high class food! i think they deserve it! And man was she so excited! I even let her supersize her fries cause I'm such a gentleman like that.

Anonymous said...

lol, i didnt write it, just passed it along. i wouldve done my research if i were gonna write it ;)

Jessie said...

Hooray for you Cece!