Monday, August 08, 2005

Some Of You Wanted To Know And Some Of You Didn't Give A Shit

Someone wanted to know more about MY family.
If I am reiterating anything I've already posted about them, my apologies.

My Sister-
Her name is Alexis, but everyone calls her Axle. She is 9 years younger, making her 22 years old currently. She is almost finished with college. She received a volleyball scholarship to a local U down here. She's an athlete. When she finishes school, she'll be doing something with Special Ed. Not really sure what.
Right now she works at the deli in Wal-Mart and just got her own apartment. I'm really proud of her. She works hard, doesn't call in sick, doesn't walk in late, doesn't fuck around while on the clock. And it's just freaking Wal-Mart, you say? She can always be counted on to cover a shift, work on holidays and provide endless entertainment.
Did I mention she's a a fucking clown? If you thought I was bad...oh Lord. The girl has no shame when it comes to making an ass of herself. She's incredibly moody and we get in huge screaming fights occasionally. She's not afraid to tell me how she feels about something and I'm the same with her. That feels really good. I take my part as older sister pretty seriously, and jump her ass when she fucks up. I like to think thats part of why she is where she's at right now.
She has a Red Heeler named Eva and she drives a Jeep.
When she was little, I made my parents buy her a Teddy Ruxpin for her birthday just so I could play with it.
She wasn't allowed in my room and therefore, she rarely allows me in hers to this day.
She can be a REAL HUGE BITCH when she wants to be.
She's alot like my dad.
She has dark blonde hair and skin that actually tans.
She has three tattoos and non-average piercings. Don't ask me what that means...I don't stare at her often enough to know for sure where everything is at. Heh.
My dad allows her to be wild and crazy and flash guys with cameras for beads during Spring Break. Shit he NEVER let me do.
She's very loveable and very hateable all at the same time.
She plays guitar and drums and sings pretty well too.
She likes to surf and ride around on her Honda Rebel.
She is frequently in car and motorcyle accidents. She either drives for crap or she is unlucky. I think a little of both.
I call her Lou-Lou. As in Lexy Lou-Lou Bird, which is what we all called her when she was a baby.

My Dad-
My dad was married at 16 and had me at 17.
He still managed to graduate as the President of the Student Council, Captain of the Football team and as a member of the National Honor Society. He also ran track and held the High Jump record for I don't know...decades? Thats some Al Bundy shit right there.
He used to work 3 jobs just to support his little family. My grandfather died when my dad was a kid and from what I understand...was never much of a father to begin with. This didn't stop my dad. Nor did he ever use it as an excuse. His family was poor. He was the baby. He busted his ass. He had no role model. He had no understanding maybe of what he was getting into, but as with everything else...my dad just did it. No complaints, no whining. No pity parties.
He got a football scholarship and from there, he and my mom went to college alternately and moved around alot. My dad's life was work and school.
He finally graduated from law school when I was 14. I like to call that his Doctorate of Judas Priest. Jurisprudence. Whatever.
He was very strict with me. He was always my hero though, still is. He is an overachiever. He is laid back, too.
He used to take me to a laser tag place when I was a kid so I could watch HIM compete.
He was a pro-boxer.
He now manages a boxing team and runs Joe Valle Sports Promotions in addition to his law office.
He is the one who taught me that shit is never as fucked up as it could be so stop bitching and get your shit together. When my beloved cat mysteriously died, he pulled out his pocket knife and asked if I wanted an autopsy. I wanted to punch him and laugh at the same time.
He always pushed me to be an athlete, pushed me to go to school, pushed me to do all of the things he thought I should do. Then one day, he realized that I wasn't his image. For my birthday that year, he bought me a laptop and asked me to write my first novel on it.
He finally understood.
I think in his mind, the best thing I ever did was give him not ONE but TWO grandsons.
I've gained his respect 31 years later. Not an easy task.
Between him and my sister, we are the noisiest group in any restaurant.
His favorite target is my mom. Bless her heart...she's so easy.

My Mom-
My mom is a nerd. A pretty nerd though.
She's the White in my Wexican lineage. She is originally from Minnesota.
When she met my dad, my grandparents were living in a religious commune down here and my mom came to visit them for a while.
She is older than my dad by 3 years.
My dad saw her from the school bus, riding her bike and decided he must have the white nerdy girl in the floppy hat. God knows why.
My mom is incredibly smart. She has a Masters degree but is still interested in continuing school even now.
She plays the piano and the guitar. She taught my sister how to play the guitar. She has written music. Very beautiful music.
She knows how to drive a motorcycle and has a license.
She has naturally streaked dark blonde/light blonde hair and amazing ice blue eyes. When I was in high school she had long hair nearly down to her waist. She was slender and wore sexy clothes and high heels. Always high heels. She came to my school once to judge some stupid talent contest and when she stood up to be introduced...a bunch of guys started hooting and hollering. Some of them were sitting near me.
Naturally I turned around and snarled...THATS MY MOM, ASSHOLE.
Now she's looking older...but still beautiful...in an older sort of way.
She has arthritis...the kind that crippled my Gramps so I worry about her alot. But she's tough. She takes her meds and her shots and her pain and you would never even know it. She doesn't talk about it. She doesn't worry anyone with her worries. She never even considers her health, I think. She just appears indestructable.
She is very shy and overly polite to the point that she never wants to invade or intrude so she keeps her distance.
Then again, she can be a major nag.
She always gives me incredible advice. She taught me that what EVERYONE thinks is important and that EVERYONE'S feelings are important. She always suggested that I put myself in other's shoes. Consequently I think I am entirely too empathetic. She also told me once that everyone's beliefs are important and that these should never be mocked.
She has been a devout Christian all of her life and recently joined the Catholic Church. I cried when I watched her take her First Communion. In fact, I'm crying right now.
She makes one helluva Grandma. I can ALWAYS count on her. For ANYTHING.
Even though I could never talk to her about sex because sex was an evil dirty sin. It's okay. I never needed a friend. I needed a Mom. Still do. And we still don't talk about sex. Heh.

My family-
We like to yell at each other but its all love. We like to laugh, mostly at each other. We like our family traditions and don't like straying from them. We like to talk alot when we're around each other. We like to tell funny stories. We like taking road trips and we like sharing meals. We like to talk to each other on the phone. Well...me and my dad do.
My mom hates her cell phone and always pretends that she doesn't know how to work it properly. The same woman who hooks up all of their electronics and assembles any furniture or machinery ever purchased. That one. Yeah. She doesn't fool me. My sister saves all of her minutes for her friends and gets pissed off when you call her without having anything important to say. Which means I get in trouble alot for just calling and yelling...BUTTHEAD in the phone.
I digress. We're hard workers. Whether it's sacking groceries like my dad used to do, operating a switchboard like my mom used to do, making fried chicken at a Wal-Mart like my sister does, or working the drive thru at Taco Bell, like I used to do. I always like to say...I WAS THE FASTEST FUCKING TACO WRAPPER IN THE WEST. And who else would purposefully eroticize her voice for the pleasure of her drive thru customers?
IT'S MY WORK ETHIC, DAMNIT. I had no choice.

Any questions?

16 comments:

Pix said...

Damn - I nearly got tears too. And I'm tough as....

I also take the big sis role VERY seriously. And my sis who isn't in Chile is also nicknamed Lou!

I am also a law grad. And think I want a new job. Is your dad hiring?

Don't ever assume mom's are indestructible. I made that mistake and it turned my world on its ass.

I really enjoyed that Cece, though it was apparent you came from good seeds. Oh, and I just stopped by to let you know I am contemplating the half nekkie Thurs phenomenon (;

Big Heavy said...

how did you get from taco bell to biocom?

Freebird said...

Have you ever blogged about how you met Roy? Did I miss that post? Inquiring minds want to know - or maybe its basically just me, I'm nosy that way. :-)

Freebird said...

Does that make today: Ask Cece About Her Life day?

p.s. In case I've never mentioned this before, sounds to me like you guys have way too much fun down there in the valley.

SJ said...

Erotic Taco Drive Through... I think there could be a market for that!

Cece Martinez said...

Pix- Join us. Get half-nekkid.

BigHev- Damn. That was my high school job! I haven't been in high school for 13 years!

Freebird- I don't think I've posted that one. Ask me anything!

Ian- I was the best. The BEST.

Freebird said...

Okay, how'd you two meet? Give us the dirt. How long did you date before you married him? Hell, how long did you date before you "hooked up?" LOL! Okay, you don't have to answer that one.

Cece Martinez said...

Freebird- I'll post it soon then. :)

Big Heavy said...

why don't you link to anybody?

Cece Martinez said...

BigHev- Because my link bar would look like Grace's and it would stress me out. Lots.

grace said...

don't make fun of my linkages. i can't help it.

i tried to fix it. i did. but i couldn't.

so i moved onto comics.

heh.

nice :) i liked learning about your family. god. you sound like such a functional family. ... .

Anonymous said...

You failed to mention that your Dad is a handsome man and that your Mom makes the best Flintstones Halloween costumes ever. And my fondest memory of Alexis, who was not yet Axle, is of watching the Small Fry cartoon with her one Saturday morning.

And yes, Veronica, you totally want to be adopted by her parents.

Freebird said...

If Veronica gets to come, I do too! They can adopt us as twins.
:-P

Cece Martinez said...

Oh Khaj!!

Cece Martinez said...

Vero- You're already my SOUL SISTAH!

Maja said...

That was great to read.. I love how you wrote about your family in a way that made everything, even the annoying kinda stuff, sound good. That's love :)