I may just be partial but...little boys are SO DANG CUTE! Last night at the Cub Scout meeting of Pack 899, Den 1, I had to give a lesson on What Makes America Special. The boys were split up into 3 groups of 4 and sent out to 3 different stations. One of which was mine. I was fully prepared for hi-jinks and such. I even expected some goofy input. And I wasn't disappointed. First of all...thank you to Cristian for answering..."MY MOM!" When asked what makes America so special. And thank you to little Jerry for reminding me about the time he tried to smash his face into Cristian's Birthday Cake, although I don't really know what his point was. Oh, and also thank you to little Jerry for answering..."Arnold Schwarzinator!" When asked if he knew any famous Americans. Silly me. I was thinking he would say George Washington or Abe Lincoln. And thank you to little Manuel who told me ALL ABOUT his trip to Corpus Christi and how that tied in to being a good citizen and Henry Ford's Model-T. I never knew.
Thank you to the Other Cristian (yes there's more than one) for pointing out the "Evil Looking Cow With No Eyes" in my book on Texas and thank you to Tommy Jasso (you just HAVE to say this kids last name too, its an unspoken rule) for pointing out that it would be more efficient if he just wrote "Bird" instead of "MOCKINGbird" in his book under the State Bird. All that MOCKING business is just unnecessary. Thank you to the new kid for having the most meticulous printed handwriting I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE ASIDE FROM MY FRIEND MIKE ROTTA. And the kid is only 8.
Everyone one of these adorable...sweaty...messy-haired Bear Cubs was awarded American Flag Pencils with a Matching Star Eraser Top, which were promptly transformed into magic wands and flung about at assorted other boys, by all. I was the only one giving out prizes which automatically made me the coolest (DUH GIVE THEM CHEAP TREATS PEOPLE) until The Other Cristian's dad showed up with hot dogs and fruit punch and then I was kicked to the curb.
I was extremely proud of myself last night. I was able to sit around with other parents without having a panic attack. I was even the star of the show for perhaps...15 mins. I even TALKED to some of the other parents. And thankfully, I didn't go home and have back spasms from my knotted nerves over the whole "public speaking around other adults who are more adultish than I am and therefore probably think I am weird and/or unfit for wearing flip-flops and baggy pants to a Cub Scouts meeting". This is actually the first year that I have even participated. Cris has been doing this for 2 years now but I always let my dad take over because after the VERY FIRST meeting I couldn't go back due to the fact that one of the moms had to check her FREAKING ORGANIZER to see if little Dante could play with Cristian anytime within the following three months AND THATS CUZ SHE WAS MY AGE AND I THOUGHT SHE WOULD BE NORMAL. After that I felt excluded. No one talked to me. And of course I didn't talk to anybody so I just stopped going. My dad made it easy because he got all into it like the NERD HE IS and quickly became ASSISTANT CUB MASTER which requires him to dress up like Smokey The Bear for all Scout functions and at least that gives me some measure of joy. But only because he looks hokey and it makes me laugh to see him with that crocodile hunter hat and the neckerchief and the patch-covered shirt and the multi-task cargo pants and his never-seen-a-hike-before shiny hiking boots.
Anyway. I vowed to be different this year. I have succeeded so far.
We'll see how it goes.
12 comments:
actually sounds like fun. im sure it's fun for the boys. and its nice that's it's organized. growing up we had BB Guns and real bow and arrow's and knives to play with (my dad was white, and we lived in a trailer don't forget) but never any merit badges or instruction. that's good that your helping out, horrray for you!
RC: Its a mobile home. Heh. We lived in one too. I still remember the address and I was barely in 4th grade when we finally moved.
58 King Street
Regal Estates
REGAL ESTATES! HA!
Veronica: The Paxcil is working!
Purple Heart? At the least! I would say the Congressional Medal of Honor is more like it! I've been shot by a BB gun also, it hurts! We used to run around and shoot each other, and throw dirt & rocks as grenades. Yeah weren't the smartest kids, But we had fun!
Oh yeah Cece, I forget, Mobile Home. That's the nicer way of saying it. You know I remember my address too:
8429 Michelle Way
San Antonio, TX 78249
Even my phone number! 654-4408. I called it one time and its some business now. I was like what the hell you doing with my phone number! They just hung up.
roberto just scared the shit outta me.... you actually called your old home number? what would you have done if some nice little family answered? stalker! stalker!
okay. hehe. i'm okay now... i've paranoia. if you didn't know...
that's cute. cub scouts (and brownies) are cute. except when they're trying to hit you up for money. that's a bit of americana i was deprived of... a friend told me all about the boy scouts one day. i was absolutely enthralled... and i had NO idea that moss only grows on the north side of trees... oh. crap. was it the south side?
fuck it. west siiiide! i'm officially losing my mind.
Grace are you kidding?! I literally hunt down Girls Scouts during Girl Scout Cookie Season! I am like the best Tagalong consumer they got! Cub Scouts just sell tins of popcorn. BORING.
When I was a kid we were too poor for me to join Girl Scouts. All of my friends were girl scouts and I wanted to be one REAL BAD. So my mom took me to a stupid 4-H meeting. AS IF! I never went back.
I WAS HORRIFIED. I WANTED TO BE A GIRL SCOUT DAMNIT!
yeah i have to admit grace, i was curious, what can i say? and i'm sorry to scare you, but you know what is really scary? THE CUCUEE MAN! Ooooohhhhh!!!
At least none of the kids answered the "What makes America special?" with Xbox and strippers. That's awesone that you're getting better with people. Next step is to give a speech at the christmas party.
Yay Cece! Hey, hotdogs and fruit punch only last an hour, pencils last a lifetime. Errr... pencils last longer.
Good for you for getting involved. I think your dad must be the coolest. You should post a picture of him in that snazzy outfit.:)
Um Cody...actually Halo 2 WAS on the list of what makes America special.
Nina, I think I should do that.
im an eagle scout... errr, scratch that, cub scouts are cute in those little shorts... errr, scratch that too... dammit i cant win...
Post a Comment