Monday, November 15, 2004

The Tamale

Madman liked the Carne Guisada tacos! WOOHOO! Yet another convert.
Okay here is where I try to explain what a tamale is.

Tamale. Pronounced tah-mah-ley. Kinda.
A tamale is about 6 inches long and about 1-1/2 inches wide....depending on who is cooking them. They have a cornmeal type of outer covering and the inside is filled with a wide variety of things but typically they are filled with spicy shredded pork or beef or chicken. They are wrapped snuggly in a corn husk. Actually...the corn husk is what holds the whole thing together until they are cooked. When they are eaten, you lovingly unroll them from their corn husk and rabidly devour them. I do not know how exactly they are cooked or what the masa (cornmeal stuff) is made out of. I am conspicuously absent everytime my aunt decides to cook a batch and then I magically appear shortly after they are finished. That was probably the worst description ever. The Saturnyne had a much more colorful tale. Albeit, incorrect. Anyone else want to elaborate?

4 comments:

The Saturnyne said...

Incorrect? Incorrect!?!?!

Take that back!

(It was more an outrageous lie, actually. I was very pleased with it, too...)

Anonymous said...

The main ingredient to tamales ...it is ...........LARD ........deadly LARD ....and lots of it .....LARD and CORN MASA ...and then more LARD ........Heart choking,angioplasty causing ..need a stent NOW ...LARD .....!!!

I am glad I could be of service.....

Anonymous said...

mmmm, yes the carne guisada tacos were gooooood

i even have proof that i went, i took pics of the outside of the restaurant. :) ill post them on my blog sometime when i get the chance. its a busy week, getting things ready for my trip to india!

grace said...

mmm. tamales... lard... mmmm....