Thursday, September 16, 2004

The Mexican Suit

Today at San Martin de Porres Catholic School...it was Mexican Cultural Dress Up Day. Of course I am on top of these things so I found out at approximately 7:oo this morning. Meaning...Cristian was not dressed up as a Cultured Mexican today. but then again...only about 50% of the kids were. so thankfully he didn't stand out. anymore than he, himself requires anyway. so we walked into the school, past the secretary who was manning the door...camera at the ready and past lots and lots of little Culturally Dressed Mexicans. and I don't say that flippantly because in truth...there are only a handful...as in 5...white (Anglo) kids in Cristian's school. and all 5 of them are blonde. so theyre quite easy to spot. anyway. none of them were dressed up like Cultured Mexicans. everywhere I looked there were girls wearing full white skirts with colorful center stripes, blouses with wide collars edged in lace and boys with sand colored pants with ties at the ankles and tunic style shirts underneath ornamental striped panchos and traipsing around in huaraches (sandals). and not a few of them had full brimmed straw hats embroidered with red and green thread. so Cris and I make our way to the end of the hall where his class was sitting in line and the second boy in line jumps up with a shout of....'CRISTIAN!' and he grabs my son by the shoulders and puts his face right in Cristians face and demands...'WHERE IS YOUR MEXICAN SUIT?!' and Cris grins and shrugs and the boy pleads...'Sit here! Sit here!'....as he pats the carpeted space beside him. Proving once again that you don't have to wear a Mexican Suit to be cool.

No comments: