Saturday, July 10, 2004

The Evil Eye vs. The Incredible Edible Egg- Round 1

I think I was the unknowing recipient of the evil eye on Friday. Symptoms include sudden and unexpected stomach distress and headache. It is common knowledge around here that certain people have the ability to cause these symptoms in others merely by admiring them. My mother-in-law says that I get this because I am very pretty(insert cheeky grin here). so after suffering through the rest of the afternoon my husband finally insisted that his mother "cure" me. I was instructed to lay down and out came the incredible, edible egg. My mother-in-law then proceeded to make multiple signs of the cross on every part of my body using the egg and invoking the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Of course she does all of this in Spanish and surprisingly enough, just lying there and being rubbed down with a fridge-cold egg while she chants over me feels quite pleasant. At the end, the egg was cracked open and dropped into a clear glass of water. whatever the egg decides to do at this point, may indicate several things. So I think the egg is supposed to sink to the bottom of the glass and then if it truly absorbed the evil eye, fingers of egg white will rise up to the surface of the water. MY egg did this and looked pretty ugly, I might add. my mother-in-law swears people can die from the Evil Eye (also known as El Ojo). In fact, if you have a really cute baby it is customary for complete strangers to come up to you and touch your baby...for the purposes of removing El Ojo. See, if you're out at the mall and someone is looking at your baby from afar and thinking...My goodness that is a CUTE little Peepers, er, I mean, baby!...they MAY unintentionally be giving your child Ojo. but to be on the safe side they will run over and touch him. Peepers gets this alot because of his Charles Bronson Hair-Do. in two months, a thousand strange hands have touched my baby's hair. but thank God because I would hate to have to chase anyone down and INSIST that they touch him because I caught them smiling at him from across the room. can you imagine that? me holding Peepers in their face and demanding...TOUCH MY BABY! TOUCH HIM NOW!...but at any rate, I did start to feel a little better so I guess The Incredible Edible Egg wins this round.

No comments: