Thursday, July 08, 2004

Rio Grande Valley

Also known affectionately as the asshole of Texas. And I mean that in the most literal sense as we are located in what locals like to creatively refer to as "The Tip O' Texas, pardner". Not highly cultured unless you consider Ignorance a cultural category. but boy do I ever love the eatin' here! nearly every gas station sells breakfast tacos. migas, chorizo, la mexicana....and the old stand-by...potato and egg. nearly every grocery store parking lot has a roasted corn stand (never let it be said that the residents of the Valley are not industrious). Oh golden ear of oral pleasure! basted in butter, mayo, chili and some form of powdered white cheese...it is truly a Valley specific experience. And let us not forget that every town has at least two (but probably more) Raspa stands (a.k.a. snowcone stand) with savory flavor variations such as the Picadilly and Tigers Blood (something with kool-aid sprinkled on top, I think). And for seasonal delights we have the winter influx of tamales! Tamale's with cheese and jalapenos, beans, or even the meat of some unknown creature called a nilgai (sp?). Yes although sometimes I disdain their lack of museums...theater...and overall ingenuity...how could I ever live anywhere else?

Disclaimer: The opinions stated here should only be regarded as such. The Valley is full of Hispanic culture gone awry.

No comments: