Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Ojo And The Egg- Round 2

*This is a re-post.

Yesterday Peepers had the pleasure of accompanying my mother in law on her various daily errands. When I returned home in the afternoon, I was informed that "those bitches at HEB gave him Ojo!". "What?!", I cried. She explained to me that while grocery shopping some "bitches" came up to Peepers and marveled at how cute he was and made references to his hair-do and then those BITCHES left without touching him! EVIL WOMEN! Peepers and Mom then went back to her house where she left him with his Auntie Sonia while she ran one more errand. Apparently, Auntie Sonia had to call her in a panic begging her to come back because Peepers had started crying and would not be comforted. My mother in law returned and realized...those BITCHES gave him Ojo! So she pulled out an egg and proceeded to rub him down with it, making the sign of the cross and chanting prayers in Spanish. After she finished, Peepers was fine again! well by the time I came home, Peepers had other problems. despite his fluffy, flowing chocolate locks of baby hair...Peepers scalp has been flaky. I believe this is a phenomenon knows as "cradle cap". my mother in laws cure for cradle cap? 100% extra virgin olive oil and a lice comb. unbeknownst to Peepers, he was about to get REALLY greasy. he sat in complete ignorance on her lap, grinning and cooing and flailing his little fat arms. until.....she saturated his head in olive oil. as for me...I was watching all of this with minimal concern and a good deal of curiousity. not to mention...I suddenly got a hankering for a loaf of crusty warm Italian bread. the comb passed through Peepers hair and came out with oil gunk again and again and Peepers quickly discovered that he did not like this scraping of his tender noggin. He started bucking. grunting his displeasure. scrunching up his little face. swinging his little fists. and quickly becoming foul tempered. he squawked. he squeaked. he squirmed for all he was worth. finally I asked...should I wash that stuff out now? my mother in law gave one last run through with the comb, closely examined its contents and declared that yes, I could now bathe him. I ran to the kitchen like my ass was on fire. I soaped his hair twice and changed the water once but nevertheless, his entire body felt oily after I finished drying him off. and I hope to GOD that no more flakes are spied. last night I nervously plucked out a couple and prayed to the One God that my mother in law wouldnt find anything when she returned in the morning. and if she does...I hope she at least picks up some roasted garlic and a loaf of Italian bread.

2 comments:

Oddgirl said...

Poor Peepers. I know just how he feels. When I was younger my best friend was black. I didn't know that there was really any differences between us. She was my best friend. Durning a sleepover she said she needed to condition her hair. She went to the bathroom and started rubbing baby oil in her hair. She had really great hair and I wanted to have great hair too. I proceeded to "condition" my hair. Then I fell asleep. Not good...in the morning my hair was a matted blob. My mom must have spent three days trying to get all that shit out. At least there is a possibility he won't remember it.:)

I think it's nice that your mother-in-law is trying to help even if she overbearing. On the other hand, I don't have any kids so what do I know?

Anonymous said...

you seem to be surrounded by some pretty cool men!