Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Peepers The Barbarian

My baby....my 3 1/2 month old baby...weighs in at 18lbs. He has already moved into clothing sized for 6-9 month old babies. so to all of those out there who predicted that my Peepers would be a light-weight...I say to you....HA!...and furthermore....HA-HA-HA! It is a well-known fact that Roy's family ranges on the 'petite' side. although Roy is not currently 'petite'...he was quite the rail-thin lad at one point. height is on his side however. he's no Shorty Papa. the females in the Martinez clan, however...are smallish. the tallest offering they have is Brenda, who stands perhaps an inch or two shorter than me. I've always fancied myself on the tallish side. I am 5'5" and down here in the Rio Grande Valley...thats pretty darn tall. and when I stand next to the other Martinez females...I feel like an Amazon. cool sometimes...other times not so cool. so if the Martinez females tend towards 'shortness' so too do their children. or thus far anyway. none of my nieces or nephews have really reached an age yet where a growth spurt could determine their future height. so I base my theories on the fact that they mostly appear to be petite children. aside from, perhaps, Devin...who could end up owing his apparent deviance of this fact to his tall Canadian father. and then there is my Peepers. when Peepers was born...Devin truly looked like some form of giant organically grown Super Baby. I was beginning to think that maybe Peepers would spend much of his childhood being small of stature and fleet of foot in hopes that he could somehow outrun his larger cousin who would most assuredly crunch him at every opportunity. I had resigned myself to the fact that Peepers would be a smallish child in tradition with his paternal heritage. even though I knew that at birth Peepers weighed in at a hefty 8.5lbs. and three weeks early. have I mentioned this before? I imagine that if he had been born at his correct due date...his birth would have literally torn me asunder. Thank God for Potocin. but now...now I see more clearly. I realize that my side of the family has hearty stock to be sure. Northern Native Americans had to be heartier in the colder winter climates, no? I got that in me. Hefty Minnesota Scandinavians had to be heartier in the colder winter climates, as well...right? I got that in me too. Although I'm half Tropical Mexican...I feel secure that my mothers genes took the initiative and eradicated any of my Tropical Mexican 'smallish genes'. the Brutes. I know for a fact that I have the strongest, thickest bones in Texas, no doubt. even Cristian credits his 'Swenson Bones' as he sees fit. the Unbreakable Swenson Bones. a clever mix of stocky Indians and stockier Norwegians have rendered my body virtually indestructible. who needs admantium when I got THIS?! so in light of this heritage...I am pretty sure that Peepers will be a suitable playmate for his cousin Devin. while Cristian stays a little on the 'short side' and maintains a slender willowy form...I am confident that Peepers will be a stocky, sizable yet friendly brute. an appropriate tag team partner for the ever-smiling Devin. a jolly sort of daring duo, I predict. Time will tell.

2 comments:

Julia said...

Ill have you know woman that compared to my sisters I am one of the tallest not to mention more intelligent women of the Martinez clan, which by the way I have decided to change my mind just have not decided what to....

Big Heavy said...

i thought y'all grew big in texas. heck, i'm 6'2" all hispanic and my boy at 16yrs old is 5'10" so far. maybe it's the altitude or fresh mountain spring water.