Monday, August 16, 2004

The Weekender

Okay so we were really busy this weekend. Friday night Cristian had a boxing match in Rio Bravo, Mexico. His last, now that he is 8 and can fight in the States. The most memorable part of that evening had to be the drive home when Cristian exclaimed that he "reeeally hoped that everyone could tell he was wearing a NUT CUP because Grampa says that only dummies DONT wear NUT CUPS." and then he proceeded to knock on it for good measure. anyway. good fight. On Saturday he was supposed to have a Yu-Gi-Oh tournie but it was canceled so instead I took him and his friend Jerry to see the movie. There were two memorable parts to that endeavor. The first was on the drive to the theater when Jerry was telling Cris all about seeing AVP the night before and Cris said..."yeah. and that part where the guy is all covered in mud and Predator doesnt see him..." to which Jerry replied...."NONONO! thats ARNOLD SWARZINATOR." to which Cris responded...."yeah I know." at the movie, each ticket buyer received 1 of 4 special Yu-Gi-Oh cards so when Cris and Jerry eagerly ripped open their packages, they both received some doofy pink fluffball character and were SORELY disappointed. after the movie they went into the restroom and I proceeded to wait outside for the next 10 minutes. when they finally emerged, Cristian exclaimed..."MOM! I payed some kid $20 for his Blue Eyed Shining Dragon!" I flipped my wig. he payed $20 for a card that some kid just got for free when he bought a movie ticket. Sweet Jesus. I chewed his butt all the way to the car. In fact, I hadnt even been aware that he had BROUGHT $20. Saturday night we went to Roy's moms house to watch the Dallas Cowboys. weee. Peepers and I fell asleep. On Sunday Cristian and I went with my dad and some cousins to Schlitterbahn out on South Padre Island. Fran and I floated lazily and luxuriously on the river several times meanwhile my dad was chasing a goggled Cristian through the Sand Castle hollering..."I'll get you Riddick!" does it get any better than that? my dad says that Cristian eluded him for a good 20 mins at one point while some other kid kept tipping him off to my dads immediate location. at another time my dad tippy-toed behind Cristian all the way through the Sand Castle before Cristian finally turned around and squealed in dismay. but as I said...I was audience to none of this as Fran and I were busily lounging on a huge floaty and drifting down some benign rapids. I (HEART) Schlitterbahn. and furthermore....I (HEART) The Weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For those of you who are wondering why we would let our 8 year old box...it's simple, he loves it. They wear headgear, heavy gloves, and "nut cups". Cris knows if he ever wants to stop getting in the ring, the decision is his. Is he a future professional? Olympian? I think he can be because I haven't seen him fail at anything he has put his mind to. Why am I explaining all this? Well, a while back our Pediatrician blasted us for "making" him fight! I believe he said "we pediatricians do not believe in boxing"...anyhow we left feeling like terrible people. But we got over it and I was proud of him on Friday night because he bobbed, weaved, stuck and dazzled the crowd with his ring presence. I am truly proud of him because when I asked him if he was nervous he said "no, it's just another fight." Seeing him in the ring is truly a treat for me because he is doing something he likes and I never did anything like that as a kid. Can he defend himself? Let's just say those that have tried to push him around have learned not to. So keep on swinging snaps,...after it's all over I will drive him home, listen to his "nut cup" story and put him to bed.....tomorrow is another adventure.

PA